Thursday, January 12, 2012

To the Bat Cave, Robin!

With the Bourbon & Beer Brawl USBG Event coming up, My mind has been spinning with beer cocktail creations. I love the idea of incorporating the subtle and not so subtle flavor profiles of beer into my cocktail spectrum. It opens a whole world of potential that is so much more than just the shot and a beer mentality.

For some people, beer is in of itself already a perfectly balanced cocktail. The brewmaster has carefully determined his ingredients and ratios to create a distinct flavor profile of hop, malt or rye to deliver a pleasurable experience for your palate. For me, I always see room for improvement if it involves adding whiskey.

My first successful libation, The Dark Knight is born.


The Dark Knight

1.5 oz Elijah Craig 12
.75 oz Drambuie
.75 oz Guinness Syrup
1 oz Guinness
3 Dashes Chocolate Bitters
Stir Elijah Craig, Drambuie, Syrup and strain into Cocktail Glass.
Dry shake Beer and float foam on top. Dash bitters on top of foam. You can use a bat stencil if you are feeling fancy.
Garnish with Flamed Orange Zest.

I'll fill you in on the beer syrup... I'm just getting started on this so bear with me here.
I had one bottle of Guinness in the fridge, so that is what I used as my first experiment. I poured two cups of sugar into a pot with a tablespoon of butter on low heat. I lightly browned the sugar, stirring frequently until the sugar had a nice caramel color. I slowly poured in the beer, while constantly stirring the mixture. I boiled the pot for about twenty minutes. And then let it cool. The result is a creamy, sweet and full flavored syrup. And it's lovely. I am excited to try some different beer styles and sugar combinations.
I'll let you know how it goes...

Bourbon & Beer Brawl
Jan. 22nd
6pm at Zephyr Lounge
Featuring Master Mixologist, Bobby G Gleason & Boulder Beer Company
Hosted by Usbg Reno, Wirtz Beverage & Zephyr Lounge
$10 for non-members




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Cannot wait to try one the next time I come out for the USBC Bowling tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Nicole

    When looking Bols Around the World contest 2013 I found really interesting your work and experience, and we would like to highlight your skills and craftsmanship.

    My name is Alberto Ugalde Buenfil, Chief Editor and part of the staff of entertainment and culture publications in Mexico, particularly editions that represent relevant companies.

    Within my activities, I recently started to work on an exciting project called Trascendental (or in english, Transcendental) a digital media platform with the intention of claiming the concept of good drinking as an integral part of lifestyle. It would specially dignify drinking as a top experience, aiming at privileged and enviable target and customer profile.

    This project is oriented to a socioeconomic profile A and A + and its mission is to highlight the pleasure and possibilities of this experiences. Our editorial line has the goal of promoting the most relevant events around: the work of the brand ambassadors; involvement in sport, cultural, artistic events; social responsibility awareness; recommendations: design, bars, wineries, books, special goods; etc.

    The project is developed by a group of artists, journalists and businessmen concerned in vindicating the concept of good drinking away from the idea of slippage and impertinence, mostly as an integral part of contemporary lifestyle. The project has the support of important partnerships behind, who will offer the most varied prospects and future development possibilities.

    Because of this, it gathers the best brands and connoisseurs in the same space, for establishing a lasting conversation, transcendental. With this presentation it would be great to know a little bit more and highlight your mixologist work.

    It would be great if you could give some answers to some brief questions.
    I really don't mean to be intrusive. Also, if you like and agree you can give your contact info, taking advantage of your accomplishments for maybe some other benefits by this exposition.

    Any doubt or query, just let me know. Hope you can agree for sending you the questions

    Regards

    Alberto Ugalde Buenfil
    Editor
    augalde@origenycomunicacion.com.mx

    ugalde.origina@gmail.com

    Torre Zentrum
    Av. Santa Fe No. 495, Piso 5-501
    Cuajimalpa, Col. Cruz Manca, D.F., C.P. 05349, México
    Tel: (52 55) 500 11 700 F: (52 55) 500 11 749 C: (044) 55 2258 7547

    ReplyDelete