Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Death to the Maraschino



Since I was a child, I have detested the bright red, waxy orb what may as well have been soaked in formaldehyde that someone tried to pass off as a cherry. That is not a cherry! I know there are plenty of people asking for extra cherries in their Shirley Temple, I am not one of them.

Thirty dollars, a giant jar, some creative simple syrup, a bottle of brandy and sore fingers from two hours of pitting cherries yields and indescribably tasty treat-- Brandied Cherries!

There are tons of recipes online. I like to improvise from the traditional and go with my taste buds on what to toss in the jar, but vanilla, clove, cinnamon and honey are good places to start for working up a good syrup to drown luscious summer fruit in for six weeks. Get creative and go for spicy with adding peppers or even wasabi. The possibilities are endless.

I will even go the adventurous route and swap the brandy out for bourbon or rye, I have even tried my hand with gin with some interesting results. Hey, you never know until you try, try and try again.

So after you worked yourself half to death pitting and canning... What do you do with the fruits of your labor? You can simply swap them for the Maraschino's in Manhattans, Old Fashions, Dirty Shirley's and Sours with great results. But you can do better than that, can't you?

Depending on what hybrid you have developed, you can work them in with ease to create awe inspiring libations full of life for your guests to enjoy.

Virgin Luck
1.5 oz Square One Cucumber Vodka
.75 oz Cointreau
.75 oz Fresh Lime
.75 oz Simple Syrup
5 muddled Sour Berry Cherries (I used extra lemon and tossed some Sour Patch Kids in the jar)
Shake and double strain up
Garnish with a cucumber spear and two cherries (I'm sure you can get a visual based on the name of the cocktail)

No comments:

Post a Comment